9 That which hath been is that which shall be; and that which hath been done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun. 10 Is there a thing whereof it may be said, See, this is new? it hath been long ago, in the ages which were before us. 11 There is no remembrance of the former generations; neither shall there be any remembrance of the latter generations that are to come, among those that shall come after. 12 I the Preacher was king over Israel in Jerusalem. 13 And I applied my heart to seek and to search out by wisdom concerning all that is done under heaven: it is a sore travail that God hath given to the sons of men to be exercised therewith. 14 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and [d]a striving after wind. 15 That which is crooked cannot be made straight; and [e]that which is wanting cannot be numbered. 16 I communed with mine own heart, saying, Lo, I have gotten me great wisdom [f]above all that were before me [g]in Jerusalem; yea, my heart [h]hath had great experience of wisdom and knowledge. 17 And I applied my heart to know wisdom, and to know madness and folly: I perceived that this also was a striving after wind. 18 For in much wisdom is much grief; and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
- Ecclesiastes 1:1 Hebrew Koheleth.
- Ecclesiastes 1:7 Or, torrents
- Ecclesiastes 1:8 Or, All words are feeble
- Ecclesiastes 1:14 Or, a feeding on wind (See Hos. 12:1). Or, vexation of spirit (and so elsewhere).
- Ecclesiastes 1:15 Hebrew defect.
- Ecclesiastes 1:16 Or, yea, more than all
- Ecclesiastes 1:16 Hebrew over.
- Ecclesiastes 1:16 Hebrew hath seen abundantly.